Image: Forgotten NY
3. 18th Street Station
The short 18th Street platform with wooden bench and advertisements (left) and the ticket booth in the background (right).
18th Street station was part of the first subway line on the East side that started with City Hall station. 18th Street station was originally less than 6 m (200 ft) long to accommodate exactly five subway cars and soon needed extension in 1910. Instead of a further extension in 1948, it was decided to close the station because as was the case with many others, 18th Street passenger traffic dropped once the express station on 14th Street was operational and it wasn’t feasible to keep the station open.