Image: Don Kiddick
The interior of Cell 3 looks straight out of a sci-fi movie.
Building commenced in 1949, just as the Cold War was beginning to take hold and secrecy and paranoia were the order of the day. Things started out modestly enough, with just a few chambers or cubicles built inside larger buildings. But by 1961, Pyestock had expanded to include several large test cells big enough to accommodate supersonic jets. And the now-sprawling site continued to host covert research until it was shut down in 2000.