But it seems a safe bet that the O.K. Corral attracts all those tourists to Tombstone considerably more than the giant rose bush does. And the town makes sure to exploit its Wild West history with regular re-enactments of the gunfight and the staging of other theatrical events.
But what of the beginnings of this famous place? Well, a man by the name of Ed Schieffelin established Tombstone back in 1877. And originally, it wasn’t a town that he called Tombstone; it was his prospector’s claim over a 50-foot-long vein of silver. In any case, though, a small outpost of timber shacks grew up in the vicinity around this claim and others, with something like 100 inhabitants living there.
The town proper was subsequently constituted in 1879, and parcels of land went on sale there for $5 each. Then in 1881 Tombstone became the county seat of Cochise County – newly formed from Pima County – and got its own telegraph connection to boot. There was also a luxurious hotel, the Grand, boasting running hot water, chandeliers and genuine oil paintings.