After the Civil War came to an end in 1865, not a lot happened at the site. Then in 1903 the U.S. Army and the National Guard started to use the area for exercises. Subsequently, in 1918 the military leased a parcel of land extending for 20,000 acres.
And that land was named Camp Knox after Henry Knox. During the Revolutionary War, Knox was in charge of artillery for the Continental Army. The military bought another 40,000 acres in 1918 and although the base was diminished after the First World War ended, a military training facility continued at Camp Knox.
Godman Army Airfield was added to the base, and is still in use today. Then in 1932 the army established a permanent presence, and the name Fort Knox came into use. The base was now an important center for mechanized warfare.