2. Perito Moreno in Patagonia, Argentina gets its vibrant turquoise color from light reflecting off suspended glacier ice melt particles.
3. Five Flower Lake in Jiuzhaigon National Park, China, is known for its crystal turquoise waters. The floor of the lake is littered with ancient fallen trees from the surrounding forests.
4. Peyto Lake in Banff on top and another view here, demonstrating how light reflection can drastically alter the colour of water.
5. This volcanic lake in Flores had been turned bright turquoise from algae and bacteria living in the water.
6. Bacteria may have turned this lake a blue/brown color but we can’t help thinking of steaming hot chocolate when we look at the picture. Mmmm.
7. Deep aqua marine hues bounce off Blanca Lake, Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, Washington.
8. Yamdrok Tso, meaning Turquoise Lake, sits about 4500m above sea level, Tibet. It was created after a dam for the nearby hydroelectric power station was built.
Green and Yellow Lakes
9. This amazing shot was taken near Uyuni, Bolivia. The dark green waters are so calm the mountains are reflected perfectly.
10. Wise Lake turned green from overhanging trees at Congaree National Park in South Carolina.
11. A cleverly placed sunglasses lens in front of the camera turns Kournas Lake in Crete an interesting green colour.
12. A lime green colored lake at Mill Hollow in the Unita Forest is actually named Yellow Lake.
13. Here’s an awesome photo of Golden Lake that is all natural. Amazing isn’t it?
14. Sunset at Bluff Lake near Starkville, Mississippi.
15. Deep burnt orange hues of Henley Lake, New Zealand, at sundown.
16. Green Lake, Wisconsin, just before dawn.
Purple and Red Lakes
17. Wonderful shot of a large salt lake, Uyuni, Bolivia. The red colour is caused by astronomical numbers of microscopic, unicellular organisms living in the water and salt crust.
18. A deep red lake at Sanetsch Pass, Switzerland.
19. Red Lake at Uyuni salt plains, Bolivia.
20. Another red lake near Albertville in the French Alps.
21. Red salt lake, Tunisia. How the bacteria survive in the intense desert heat is truly amazing.
23. Wonderful orange and purple skies over Lake Murray, South Carolina, at sunset.
24. Purple and blue skies at sunset over Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada.
25. Deep red tones over Lake Michigan at dusk.