At some point, everyone needs a vacation. For British couple Leon Roberts and Jade Muzoka, though, their trip to Turkey in July 2015 ended in tears. In fact, they subsequently claimed more than $80,000 in compensation for food poisoning. However, the case took a dramatic turn when investigators saw the couple’s vacation pictures on Facebook.
Roberts is a 37-year-old railway industry contractor, and 27-year-old Muzoka is a fitness trainer. The couple reside in Derby, England, and share a passion for fitness. They also have a child together. So in July 2015, they decided to go on a week-long vacation to Turkey, staying at the Cornelia Golf Resort and Spa.
However, in April 2016 Roberts and Muzoka filed a claim against the travel firm TUI. In it, they alleged that they had both come down with food poisoning while on that vacation. Through their lawyer, the couple pursued a payment of about £58,000 ($80,000) in compensation. TUI therefore launched an investigation into their claims.