Ryan Stallings was never a healthy baby – he vomited regularly and had trouble keeping down his formula. But his parents, Patricia and David, got used to it. However, on July 7, 1989, something changed. As the three-month-old infant stared at the ceiling from his crib, listless and struggling to breathe, his mother realized that he might be dangerously ill.
Patty bundled Ryan into her car and set out for the Children’s Hospital in St. Louis, intending to consult with their doctor. But Patty was flustered and anxious. She took a wrong turn and instead ended up at Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital. As it happened, this simple twist of fate would have considerable consequences.
The hospital physicians immediately put Ryan on a respirator and began running tests. For days, Patty and David watched on. And then came a disturbing revelation. Ryan’s blood contained significent quantities of ethylene glycol, an active ingredient in antifreeze. And since the body does not produce ethylene glycol naturally, there could only be one logical conclusion: someone had poisoned Ryan.