If you’re preparing for a quiz show and need to brush up on your knowledge of the human brain – or if you just have a love of learning – look no further, because we’ve gathered up a list of some of the best brain facts on the planet. Amongst other things, you’ll learn why babies’ heads are so darned big, why a healthy lunch is good for your body and your brain, why happy thoughts will keep the doctor away and why your lover’s cologne makes your heart skip a beat.
Image: Gaetan Lee
Check out our gallery, and if you’ve got more cool and interesting facts to add, please leave a comment!
Image: Michael Heilemann
Fast Brain Facts
- 3 = the weight of your brain in pounds
- 4 to 6 = the number of minutes your brain can survive without oxygen before it starts to die
- 8 to 10 = the number of seconds you have before losing consciousness due to blood loss
- 10 to 23 = the number of watts of power your grain generates when you’re awake (that’s enough to turn on a light bulb!)
- 20 = the percentages of oxygen and blood flow going to the brain
- 100,000 = the number of miles of blood vessels in your brain
- 1,000 to 10,000 = the number of synapses for each neuron in your brain
- 100 billion = the number of neurons in your brain