Mom Was Afraid When Her Baby Shook In Pain. Then She Saw The Deadly Creature Crawling On His Body

It was every mother’s worst nightmare. All Kelsie Lewis could do was look on in horror as her little baby convulsed in pain. She had no idea what was causing it – until she discovered a deadly insect crawling on his body.

Lewis and her family live in Buckeye, Arizona. And in May 2017, they were no doubt getting ready to enjoy their first full summer with 10-month-old Jericho. Unfortunately, that’s when catastrophe struck.

It had been just an ordinary day when little Jericho began acting out of character. He was crying uncontrollably and writhing around in his crib. And yet there was no obvious sign at all as to what was causing the baby’s distress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis’ mom tried desperately to discover what was wrong, inspecting her grandson closely. And that’s when she saw it. There, on the little one’s arm, was a scorpion. Understandably, the grandmother grew extremely concerned.

The worried grandmom made the wise decision to ring for an ambulance. In the meantime, however, Jericho’s state began to spiral. And it must have been terrifying to watch: his little body was convulsing and his eyes and tongue were flitting around in his head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Furthermore, Jericho’s tiny little cheeks had started burning bright red. His breathing grew more labored and soon he was throwing up, too. It was a hugely distressing experience for the baby’s family.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, in the heat of the moment, Jericho’s grandmother began filming the scene on her smartphone. Perhaps she believed it would come in handy once they got to the hospital. Whatever her reasons, the resulting footage proved very hard to watch indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Eventually, emergency services arrived and took Jericho to Phoenix Children’s Hospital. There, medical staff confirmed a bark scorpion had stung the baby twice: once on his thigh and once on his wrist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bark scorpions are one the most common scorpions in Arizona. They are, however, also the most venomous. And not only are their stings painful, in some cases they can actually prove deadly to small infants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bark scorpions bite thousands of people each and every year in Arizona. However, only two deaths have been recorded in the state since 1968. And so Jericho’s chances of survival looked good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nevertheless, doctors said they were very fortunate the baby’s grandmother had spotted the insect on his limb. Scorpion bites leave minute marks that can be notoriously hard to spot, even for specialists. And so his grandmom’s close observation had helped towards a quick diagnosis.

ADVERTISEMENT

To combat the scorpion venom, little Jericho needed two whole vials of antidote. But after that, all his family could do was pray. “There’s really nothing you can do to console them at that point. It’s just waiting,” Lewis told CBS5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Thankfully though, Jericho made a full recovery within just a few days. However, his mom was keen to warn other parents of the impact scorpion bites can have on little children. “It’s like a whole-body spasm because it attacks their neurological system,” she told KCTV.

ADVERTISEMENT

And so Lewis took to her Facebook page to spread the word. Alongside a lengthy status, she uploaded the harrowing footage of Jericho’s symptoms. “These videos may be hard to watch, even for me, but I felt like they could be informative,” she explained.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis went on to explain that the most severe symptoms didn’t emerge until one hour after the sting. She explained that, at first, Jericho had suffered uncontrollable secretions from the nose and the mouth. He was also crying uncontrollably.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I can’t imagine how this would have turned out had the scorpion not been visible,” she added. “I didn’t know that this was the type of reaction that can happen from a sting. So, I would have been clueless to what was going on.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Knowing what happened and seeing the changes made it a very easy decision to call 911 immediately,” Lewis continued. “[It] could be the difference between life and death. I’m hoping this could help if someone else is in this situation, since I and many of my friends and family live in the desert.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis finished her post with an update on her little son. “I wanted to thank everyone again for the prayers for Jericho. He is doing so great, completely back to normal.” However, she admitted the family “are all on edge still.”

ADVERTISEMENT

If you encounter a scorpion sting, ice and antihistamines should ease the swelling and cool the itch. However, victims should also contact their local poison control center. They will decide if further medical treatment is required.

ADVERTISEMENT

There are precautions people can take to avoid being bitten in the first place, too. Shoes should be worn, especially at night. And if you’re working outside, put on a pair of gloves. When it comes to scorpion stings, then, it seems vigilance is key.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT