Court Files Reveal How Meghan Really Felt About The Queen Amid Media Intrusion Into Her Life

Barely a week went by in 2020 without new revelations about Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and their decision to give up their position as senior royals. In July that year it was the Queen’s response to the couple’s relationship with the press that made all the headlines. And her granddaughter-in-law had plenty to say in return.

This particular story began when Meghan filed a lawsuit against the MailOnline and The Mail on Sunday’s publishers. The Duchess of Sussex claimed that her privacy had been breached when a letter she’d written to her estranged father found its way into the press. The publisher in question, Associated Newspapers, refuted that it had done anything wrong.

Meghan was supported in her cause by husband Harry. The prince even issued a statement in October 2019 to explain why the couple felt the need to go to court. It read, “Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one. Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Unarguably the most powerful part of the statement came when Harry referred to the press’ treatment of Princess Diana. It read, “I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”

Further solidarity came from the open letter written by female M.P.s criticizing the press’ “outdated, colonial undertones” in their coverage of the Duchess. It read, “Although we find ourselves being women in public life in a very different way to you, we share an understanding of the abuse and intimidation which is now so often used as a means of disparaging women in public office from getting on with our very important work.” An incredible seventy-two members of Parliament signed the letter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meghan stated that any damages awarded from the case will be given to a charity aimed at the prevention of bullying. However, things didn’t initially go in her favor. A preliminary hearing in May 2020 saw certain elements of the Duchess’ claim against Associated Newspapers thrown out by the judge. The same official also dismissed allegations that the publisher had an agenda against the former royal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Despite the fact that a trial date hadn’t been set, details about the case continued to show up in the press. Indeed, legal negotiations taking place between both the Duchess and Associated Newspapers’ teams were responsible for this consistent drip-feeding of information. And the tabloids couldn’t get enough of all the juiciest bits.

ADVERTISEMENT

As you’d expect, the press was particularly interested in any details that emerged about the Queen. The monarch’s relationship with her grandson Harry and his wife Meghan had been the subject of speculation ever since they walked down the aisle in 2018. For the ruler was rumored to be furious about their choice of jewelry at the ceremony.

ADVERTISEMENT

A source reportedly told The Sun, “Meghan had her heart set on this tiara with emeralds and Prince Harry hit the roof when they were told it was impossible for her to wear it.” Traditionally, royal brides are typically expected to wear diamond-encrusted tiaras when they walk down the aisle. Colored jewels, meanwhile, are reserved for those royals who have already been a vital member of the family for several years.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to the insider, “There was a very heated exchange that prompted the monarch to speak to Harry.” In fact, the prince allegedly told royal aides, “What Meghan wants, Meghan gets.” Perhaps understandably, his grandmother wasn’t too pleased. Writing in Vanity Fair magazine, royal commentator Katie Nicholl claimed, “The Queen was said to be so cross that she called Harry in for a rare dressing down.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The monarch was also reportedly curious as to why Meghan needed to wear a veil for the wedding, having already tied the knot once. In the end, the Duchess sported a platinum and diamond headpiece for the occasion. And an insider allegedly told The Sun, “The message from the Queen was very much Meghan needs to think about how she speaks to staff members and be careful to follow family protocols.”

ADVERTISEMENT

But was this just another case of the media stirring the pot? Well, according to Meghan, there never was a dispute between herself and the Queen about the choice of headpiece. The Duchess later claimed that she had decided on the platinum and diamond jewelry entirely of her own accord after viewing all the options with both Harry and his grandmother.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, speculation continued to grow regarding the Queen and Harry’s apparently fractured relationship. Commentator Nicholl alleged in Vanity Fair magazine that the prince had once again “put out” the reigning monarch in the wake of his wedding to Meghan. And on this occasion, the dispute centered on the Duke and Duchess’ living arrangements.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to Nicholl, the Queen “was apparently taken aback when the Duke suggested that the couple might live in a suite of rooms at Windsor Castle as their official residence. The Sussexes were politely but firmly told this would not be possible because Windsor is the Queen’s home.” And this certainly wasn’t the last time that Meghan and Harry reportedly offended the monarch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Indeed, the Queen was reportedly also left upset by the pair’s lack of advance warning over their son Archie’s christening. Harry and Meghan apparently left it so late to tell the monarch that she had already booked a prior engagement and, therefore, was unable to attend. But that was nothing compared to the disappointment the monarch allegedly felt in early 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, Harry and Meghan’s shock decision to vacate their position as senior royals reportedly left the Queen extremely saddened. The monarch had been holding out hope that her grandson and his wife could iron out the problems they had as members of the world’s most famous family. However, to many people’s surprise, she still publicly gave them her blessing.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Queen had previously engaged in “very constructive discussions” about the matter with Harry, his brother William and his father Charles at her Sandringham Estate. Meghan reportedly also joined in the conversation about her future with the Duke in a telephone call she made from Canada. The Duchess had been staying in North America at the time with son Archie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Following the talks, the Queen released a statement regarding the situation. It read, “My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the royal family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The statement also expressed support for the couple’s decision to become more financially independent. It continued, “Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives. It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the U.K.”

ADVERTISEMENT

However, the Queen appeared to throw a spanner in the works just a month later when she stopped Harry and Meghan from using the term “royal.” A statement from Buckingham Palace revealed that the pair would have to abandon the SussexRoyal brand they’d already started to develop. This was apparently due to the “specific government rules surrounding use of the word ‘royal.’”

ADVERTISEMENT

Harry and Meghan had gained an impressive 11.2 million followers for the Instagram account with the SussexRoyal handle. The pair had even spent a whopping five-figure sum on an official website bearing the same name. And they’d also applied to trademark a whole host of merchandise items emblazoned with the brand.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Queen may have publicly backed the pair but, according to various sources, it was a different story behind closed doors. Vanity Fair magazine reported that the monarch was left frustrated by Harry and Meghan’s lack of forward planning. And she also wasn’t convinced by the couple’s “half in, half out” tactics relating to their royal positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sally Bedell Smith, a royal biographer, told the magazine she approved of the Queen’s actions. She said, “By ruling against [the couple’s] use of the Sussex Royal brand, she drew the line on exploiting their royal connection for profit. I think in the process she has showed the sort of flexibility and adherence to standards that strengthen the monarchy.”

ADVERTISEMENT

However, Meghan doesn’t appear to have been so appreciative of the Queen’s methods. In fact, in official court documents unveiled during her case against Associated Newspapers, it was revealed that the Duchess did have some ill-will toward the royals. For she believed the monarchy had left her entirely unprotected from the press.

ADVERTISEMENT

Newspaper The Mail on Sunday argued then that Meghan had essentially invaded her own privacy in a piece printed by People magazine. The Duchess had allowed her five of her close pals to discuss the leaked letter and its impact on her with the U.S. publication. However, this particular tactic was defended by Meghan’s team in an official court document.

ADVERTISEMENT

The document read, “The claimant had become the subject of a large number of false and damaging articles by the U.K. tabloid media.” It then specifically referred to Associated Newspapers, who were accused of causing “tremendous emotional distress and damage to her mental health. As her friends had never seen her in this state before, they were rightly concerned for her welfare, specifically as she was pregnant, unprotected by the institution and prohibited from defending herself.”

ADVERTISEMENT

So how might the Queen have reacted to Meghan’s “unprotected” claims? Well, according to Camilla Tominey, a royal correspondent, she would have been left highly upset. “I think the Queen is going to be seeing those headlines this morning and, frankly, feel devastated at this idea that they weren’t supportive,” Tominey told the presenters of British TV show This Morning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tominey then recalled how supportive the monarch had been to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex at the start of their fairy tale romance. She said, “When Meghan was first on the scene she wasn’t even married. And the Queen broke with tradition and invited her to Sandringham at Christmas.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Obviously [the Sussexes] were given Frogmore Cottage and £2.4 million (approximately $3 million) was spent on it,” Tominey continued. “So I think the royals might be thinking, ‘Well, we did try and make you feel welcome, but perhaps you always wanted to break away and you wanted to do things differently.’” The correspondent also believes that Meghan changed the narrative regarding the letter to her father.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tominey said, “Interestingly, [you probably know] that there is a book coming out called Finding Freedom that’s been written by two authors who are close to Meghan. One of them, Omid Scobie, went on television last year and effectively said that he thought that the letter was written in order for the contents to be public.” Scobie apparently believed this was a tactic to show how hard the Duchess had attempted to make amends with her estranged dad.

ADVERTISEMENT

And Tominey wasn’t the only royal expert to claim that the Queen would have been left devastated by Meghan’s remarks. Phil Dampier told British newspaper The Telegraph, “She’ll cope with it, but she will feel desperately betrayed.” The author also referred to the same “beautiful multi-million-pound home in the middle of Windsor Great Park” that the monarch gave to the couple. He added, “Some will be wondering: ‘What more did they want?’”

ADVERTISEMENT

Some royal experts believe that Harry and Meghan could have offended the Queen once again with comments they made in July 2020. The pair were staging an online Commonwealth summit when talk turned to the history of the British Empire. Harry remarked, “Certainly when you look across the Commonwealth, there is no way that we can move forward unless we acknowledge the past.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The prince continued, “So many people have done such an incredible job of acknowledging the past and trying to right those wrongs. But, I think we all acknowledge there is so much more still to do.” As a result, critics of the pair argued that they were directly attacking the Queen and the royal family.

ADVERTISEMENT

One such critic, royal expert Robert Jobson, told talkRadio, “I think that to criticize the Queen’s life work is disrespectful. I think that things have changed since the Queen inherited this role as head of the Commonwealth. At that time, it was only a handful of countries who had joined the Commonwealth.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Jobson, continuing his defense of the Queen, added, “In that time, there has been a huge improvement and development in what has happened in terms of money put into education and professions which are linked through the Commonwealth. Harry is frankly just picking bits out that he wants to. It’s very easy to criticize something from a distance in a millionaire’s mansion that has actually done a lot of good over the years.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Rosindell, a conservative M.P., echoed Jobson’s sentiments in an interview with MailOnline. He said, “I understand that Harry and Meghan have taken a step out from being members of the royal family. Therefore I’m surprised that he would be making comments like that. I don’t agree with what he is saying. We should look forward not back.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Rosindell, who’s served as an M.P. since 2001, continued, “As someone who has stepped out of the royal family he should focus on his own life and not get involved in politics. That is not the appropriate thing to do. I’m not sure his grandmother would be too pleased either.”

ADVERTISEMENT

However, Meghan had far more pressing concerns to worry about at the time. In the same week as their Commonwealth remarks, she also chastised Associated Newspapers for their threatening to reveal the identities of the five friends who’d been interviewed by People magazine. “These five women are not on trial, and nor am I,” the furious Duchess wrote in an official statement. “The publisher of the Mail on Sunday is the one on trial.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Meghan’s statement continued, “It is this publisher that acted unlawfully and is attempting to evade accountability; to create a circus and distract from the point of this case – that The Mail on Sunday unlawfully published my private letter. Each of these women is a private citizen, young mother and each has a basic right to privacy.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The Duchess concluded her statement in a powerful manner, adding, “Both The Mail on Sunday and the court system have their names on a confidential schedule. But for the The Mail on Sunday to expose them in the public domain for no reason other than clickbait and commercial gain is vicious and poses a threat to their emotional and mental well-being. The Mail on Sunday is playing a media game with real lives.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT